Erica Gerstheimer is a lawyer at Smith Valeriote Law Firm LLP. She practices exclusively in the area of Condominium law, assisting with condominium development and management. She regularly works with property managers, condominium boards, and developers to resolve a variety of issues facing condominiums.
Erica regularly assists clients with the following:
- declaratory, by-law and rule drafting, amendments or interpretation;
- condominium formation and registration;
- section 98 or indemnity agreements;
- enforcement matters, including demand letters and mediation/arbitration;
- ·owners’ meeting, board meetings, and turnover meetings;
- lien registration and collection;
- changes to the common elements, assets or services; and,
- advice on reserve fund studies and audited financial statements.
Prior to her career in law, Erica completed an Honours Degree in Criminology with a Minor in Psychology through the University of Windsor, graduating with distinction. During her undergraduate studies, Erica was a teaching assistant, a mentor with the Children’s Aid Society, and an Events Coordinator for UNICEF Windsor. She earned her J.D. at the University of Ottawa in 2012. During law school, Erica worked for the University of Ottawa Community Legal Clinic, wherein she regularly represented clients at the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board and participated in Community Legal Education presentations. During her last year of law school, Erica was a member of the Legal Clinic’s hiring committee as well as a division leader, assisting fellow case workers.
Prior to being called to the Bar in Ontario in 2013, Erica articled at Smith Valeriote, completing an extensive rotation in Condominium Law. Erica is currently a member of several of the Canadian Condominium Institute (CCI)’s chapters, participating on chapter committees and regularly speaking at events and courses. In 2014, Erica was also elected to the Board of Directors for the Windsor Chapter.